Monday, July 20, 2009

The cure for want!

A pastor friend of mine once preached about contentment out of the book of Colossians. He challenged us to hunger after the things of God and not the things of this world. I found my notes this week and thought I would share them with you. Warning, they are quite challenging.

(1) "Don't be greedy for the good things of this life, for that is idolatry" (See Col 3:5 NIV). Stop craving things we don't need. Instead, try enjoying what we've got.

(2) If we're not tithing, start now! We'll be switching from the world's faltering economy to God's fail-safe economy. When we tithe He promises to protect our interests and send blessings "there shall not be room enough to receive" (See Mal 3:8-12).

(3) "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it" (Ps 24:1 NIV) and He guarantees to "supply all our need" (Php 4:19). So before we go shopping, try praying! Ask God for what we need, then wait for Him to respond.

(4) Begin giving away some of what we've got. "It is possible to give away and become richer...[and] to hold on too tightly and lose everything...the liberal man shall be rich" (Pr 11:24-25 TLB). Go ahead, do it! Obey God, be patient, and watch what happens.

I am strengthened in my own faith after re-reading these notes. God Bless you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was timely , i needed to hear that, thank you, may god richly bless you.

Jerry said...

I believe in these principles and have seen them at work in my own life. I will never forget the Wednesday night when Jay Reed ushered in an incredable Spirit of giving through his testamony. It was a major turning point in my life. It was a night of testing. The Holy Spirit asked me to give $1,000 dollars that night. I said "What are you nuts?! I had just emptied my bank account because I had to put in a new septic system." There was an incredible push in my soul not to miss the opportunity. So we gave. Now here we are three years later after having received blessing upon blessing upon blessing. They have been countless and the latest one from a move that only the Lord could have orchestrated. Unbelievable. This has taught me that when the Spirit says to give that we need to be quick to obey because there is blessing and replenishment beyond measure on the way. One thing I have come to realize is that I do not own anything, He does, and I'm thankful for His provision. It is like David says in 1st Chronicles 29:14 "But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand." The reality of this humbles me.